Racing History of WMBRC
has been synonymous with speed on water,
since the end of the 19th century, when
races were held between high-speed steam
launches. So it was only natural that as
the new petrol engines began to appear,
they should be employed by several local
sporting gentlemen to power their boats
to even higher speeds.
racing on Windermere had been taking place
informally for several years, when in 1923,
the Ambleside Water Carnival held the first
organised races for Motor Boats and Hydroplanes.
With the success of these races the previous
year, entries for 1924 were up to 34 craft,
which raced for several new trophies, many
of which were subsequently presented to
the club and are still competed for today.
interest in motorboat racing, led to even
more informal races being held in-between
the official regattas. So it was, that a
small group of friends competed against
each other ever more regularly, and in 1924,
to add interest to the proceedings, Harold
Pattinson donated the “E.H. Pattinson
It was a
small number of these friends, who in 1925,
met for the explicit purpose of forming
a motorboat-racing club. They produced a
prospective, which proposed, “To provide
a pleasant waterside club house, facilities
for boats and cars, and the finest stretch
of water for motor boat racing in the country”.
This invitation for members met with great
approval, as over 40 enthusiastic gentlemen
joined that first year. In the first year
the club held 13 races, with the scratch
race, for the MMA Cup, being won by Miss
Betty Carstairs in her boat “Nweg”.
the members had financed and built a new
clubhouse and pier on land in Parsonage
Bay and the club was in business. In 1927,
it was also resolved that ladies be admitted
to membership of the club and several ladies
soon took up the challenge.
In 1951 WMBRC acquired the famous Broad
leys house as their headquarters and raced
Powerboats from its foreshore from that
date until the LDPB imposed a speed limit
of 10mph on the Lake in 2005. Since then the Club has continued a full
racing programme in Barrow Docks.
Photo courtesy of
Malcolm Casson Photography